In our many years of service to Ontarians, our clients have asked us lots of questions. To help even more people in the community, we have compiled a list of the most common questions and provide our answers here.
Q: I haven’t actually seen any bed bugs, but I do have bites on my arms and legs. Are there bed bugs in my home?
A: The presence of insect bites on the skin is, in fact, a poor indicator of a problem. Other insects (like mosquitoes or chiggers) may look like bed bug bites, rashes (like eczema or fungal illnesses). Even hives can masquerade as bed bug bites. It is possible for some people to not notice when they have been bitten by bed bugs.
A bed bug infestation should be identified as soon as possible so that the infection does not become established or spread. Even though it is inconvenient, treating a small infestation is far less expensive and easier than dealing with the same infestation once it has expanded.
If you suspect that you do have a bed bug infestation, you can contact Thermokill for a free inspection. That way, not only will you know for sure, but if you do have a bed bug problem, you can arrange for Thermokill to help you to get rid of the insect pests.
Q: If one room has bed bugs, do all of the rooms have them?
A: Bed bugs feed on the blood of humans and animals and appear as round, brownish insects. The flat bodies of adult bed bugs are approximately the size of an apple seed. Their bodies, on the other hand, enlarge and turn a rusty red colour after they eat.
This parasite is not able to take off in the air, but can jump from one surface to another with ease. Over the course of their career, female bed bugs can lay hundreds of eggs, each approximately the size of a dust speck.
Nymphs, or immature bed bugs, shed their skins five times before they reach adulthood, and each shedding necessitates a blood meal. As little as a month is needed for the bugs to fully mature and produce three or more generations annually in ideal conditions.
Even though they’re a nuisance, they aren’t believed to carry diseases. There’s a good chance the insects will take up residence in more than one room due to the ease with which they can spread.
To be sure, Thermokill’s free inspection will definitively identify the location of all of the bed bugs in a home.
Q: How are bed bugs treated and prevented?
A: As prevention is always better than a cure, consider these home tips to practice before seeing signs of bed bugs:
- Avoid taking used furniture from areas that are commonly affected by bed bugs such as apartment complexes, or secondhand furniture sellers.
- Plastic, stone, metal, plaster, and high-weave fabrics are good choices for new furniture because these materials don’t generally have cracks, gaps, or seams.
- Glue or caulking can be used to fill or seal cracks, fissures, and seams in walls.
- Be sure to wash your sheets and other linens frequently with hot water.
- Mattresses, pillows, and other upholstered goods should be thoroughly vacuumed on a regular basis.
- To clean heavier bedding goods, such as mattress pads, duvet covers, and comforters, use a high temperature setting. Modern washing machines have a “dry steam” setting that is desired.
- Sterilize luggage and upholstered furniture using a hand steamer.
- Keep luggage on racks and off of beds and other furniture when travelling.
- After checking into a hotel room or other place where bed bugs are common, look for symptoms of infestation.
- Always keep in mind that where one bed bug is found, there are likely many more to be found around or adjacent to the contaminated room or item.
- As much skin as possible should be covered while sleeping.
As for treating existing infestations, your best bet is to contact Thermokill to do a free inspection. If bed bugs are found in your home, these professionals will be able to get rid of them for you.
Get Rid of Bed Bugs – 100% Guaranteed
We are Toronto’s Bed Bug Heat Treatment Specialists. Heat therapy for bed bugs is safe, ecologically friendly, and highly effective.
The following are some of the most important benefits of utilising Thermokill’s bed bug heat treatment technology:
- Our bed bug heat treatment services come with a guarantee. Extended warranties are available up to a maximum of 120 days.
- So bed bugs can be eradicated as early as possible, we provide same-day inspections.
- We offer no-obligation quotes.
- All of our employees are bonded, insured, and licenced to work in the field.
- We have a proven track record of delivering high-quality work on time and on budget.
Thermokill can get rid of bed bugs swiftly and effectively. Our bed bug removal experts are certified, experienced, and regularly trained to ensure that the most up-to-date procedures are used. In addition, our professional bed bug exterminators can get rid of your bed bug insect problem in just one day in most cases, for a bed bug-free home.